Did you know that the land in which The Market Common now sits, was once vital to the defense of our nation? Yep, in June 1940 the Army Air Corp acquired Myrtle Beach’s Harrelson Municipal Airport. Over time, the US Air Force took over and on 1 April 1956, Myrtle Beach Air Force Base was officially activated.
Myrtle Beach Air Force Base was home to a few “fighter” aircraft squadrons throughout the years. Lastly and probably the most popular was the A-10 Warthog.
Myrtle Beach Air Force Base was closed 31 March 1993 due to the 1991 Base Realignment and Closure Committee (BRAC) recommendation. The land and buildings were turned over to the City of Myrtle Beach. With little help from the economic development conveyance program intended to help communities struggling after bases closed, the land languished in mostly disrepair for many years.
20 years after the base closing, with the help of Burrough & Chapin, and funds the city received after the federal government changed the rules for helping communities affected by base closings, Myrtle Beach received what was needed. The state of South Carolina legislature also made it possible and issued $41 million in bonds.
Warbird Park is a memorial to the former Myrtle Beach Air Force Base with static displays of aircraft that were once stationed here. It is located at Farrow Parkway and Business 17. Admission is free of charge and picture taking is encouraged. Off-street parking is readily available.
Warbird Park is also home to several veteran monuments.
- Merchant Marine Monument
- Battle Cross Memorial
- Wall of Service
Numerous historical informative plaques dot the tree lined walked way to give visitors a glimpse of the history of Myrtle Beach Air Force Base.
For more Warbird Park info and view the picture gallery please click the link below to visit the Warbird Park website.